The holidays are a great time to relax and unwind, enjoy time with our family and friends and show others we care by spending time together and exchanging gifts. The holiday season can also be a challenging time to stay on track with diabetes, because it is often hectic, stressful and you may be eating outside of your home often, at holiday parties and gatherings. Here are some of our top tips to help you stay on track this holiday season!
1. Make sure you get your flu shot! Getting sick can increase blood glucose levels and affect your ability to stay on track with eating healthy and exercising. Recovery can take weeks and those living with diabetes are at higher risk of flu related complications. Visit your local pharmacy or family doctor’s office to get your flu shot.
2. If you’re going to someone else’s home for a meal and not sure if there will be healthy options, offer to bring a healthy dish such as a salad or veggies and dip. Here are a few recipe ideas:
Festive Feta Salad: Recipe
Festive Quinoa Salad: Recipe
Green Goddess Dip: Recipe
3. Include physical activity in your routine. The holidays can get busy and we may be less active than usual. Plan for some fun family activities to celebrate the holidays and help blood glucose levels at the same time! There are lots of fun winter activities to try during this time of year:
– Downhill or cross country skiing
– Skating at a local rink
– Walking in a public park to see holiday light displays
– Holiday music dance party
4. Practice stress management techniques. Although it’s a fun time of year, it can get busy and hectic which can affect how much we are sleeping and how much time and energy we have to include a healthy diet and exercise. Here are some stress management tips for the holidays:
– Get your mind off stress with your favourite holiday tunes. Bonus points for singing along!
– Make a to do list of your tasks. Ask for help and delegate to friends and family when you can. Set boundaries and say no when you need to
– Try this holiday potpourri recipe for a lift in spirits Christmas Potpourri
6. Join us for our “Surviving the Holidays without Breaking the Health Bank” workshop on December 8th at 7:30pm for more helpful tips for enjoying a healthy holiday season! Sign up by clicking this button Sign Up